Fun, tasty, healthy and refreshing. A great vegetarian ceviche to enjoy as an appetizer, lunch or as a side dish with any protein. It goes perfect with fish, tuna, salmon or chicken. Try it, is addictive, even with corn tortilla chips, yuca or plantain chips (mariquitas).
They are very nutritious, great for the immune system plus they contain anti-carcinogenic. They are also packed with protein, iron and very high in fiber.
What you need:
- 12 oz. dried lentils (brown)
- 8 oz. cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- Juice of 4 lemons
- 1 avocado, cut into small cubes
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 red onion, small diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 chile serrano or ají limo, remove seeds & veins, small diced
- Salt and pepper
What you need to do:
- Rinse the lentils with cool running water and drain.
- In a large pot combine 5 cups of water, enough salt, add the lentils and bring to a boil. Lower the temperature and simmer, covered, until tender, stirring occasionally (about 20-25 minutes), until ready. Don’t overcook them, you want to enjoy their texture, almost “al dente” as the Italians say.
- Drain the lentils, wait until they are in room temperature, mix with the rest of the ingredients, serve chilled and enjoy. You can keep the ceviche in the refrigerator for a few days, that way you have them ready for lunch or dinner.