All we need this summer is a delicious, fun and refreshing salad. If you like Greek Salad, this is gonna become your favorite version. Cut all the ingredients in small pieces, like making a pico de gallo, combine with the quinoa and serve. Leftovers are gonna taste even better! You can always add a small portion of protein on top or make it without the quinoa. You have plenty of options to enjoy it! Try it!
What you need:
- 1/2 cup of heirloom or Tri-color quinoa, rinsed for 30 seconds in a fine-mesh colander
- 2 medium tomatoes (heirloom of pear style even better)
- 1 cucumber, small diced
- 1 green bell pepper, small diced
- 1/2 medium red onion, small diced
- 8-10 Kalamata olives, small diced
- 2 tbsp Italian parsley (or more to taste)
- 1 tbsp dry oregano
- 3 tbsp extra virgen olive oil
- Juice of 1lemon
- Splash of red wine vinegar (about 1 tbsp)
- 2 oz. Feta or queso fresco crumbled (just for garnish)
- 1 clove of garlic, minced (optional)
What you have to do:
- Combine the rinsed quinoa and 2 cups water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then decrease the heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook until the quinoa has absorbed all the water, about 13-14 min. Heirloom and Tri-color quinoa usually takes 2-3 more minutes than regular pearl quinoa. Once cooked, remove it from heat and let it rest on a plate for 5 minutes. This will help you not to overcook it.
- While the quinoa is cooking, chop and combine the rest of the ingredients.
- Combine all the ingredients gently, add the oil, lemon juice, vinegar, pinch of salt, pepper, toss and serve or refrigerate.