45 minutes 8-10 people
By Doreen Colondres
Quick & easy to make. The perfect “sweetheart” to surprise your family, friends, neighbors or office colleagues. You do not need a machine so add some love to every step. Try to use a good quality of extra virgin olive oil that hasn't been open for too long in your kitchen.
What you need:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar, I use organic cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 5 oz. orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 oz. orange liquor
- Zest of 2 small oranges
- 2/3 cup light olive oil
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- Olive oil or non-stick spray for prepping
What you need to do:
- Preheat the oven to 325-350F.
- Prepare your pan by lightly coating it with olive oil or a non-stick baking spray.
- Place the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a mixing bowl and combine.
- Add the eggs and stir to break the yolks, then add the orange juice, zest, liquor and olive oil.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the bowl with the solids and slowly mix them all with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- Turn the batter into the prepared pan and bake until the cake is done in the middle, approximately 35-40 minutes.
- Carefully transfer to a plate and finish with confectioners sugar and more orange zest (optional).