20-25 minutes 4-6 people
By Doreen Colondres
Easy, flavorful great for brunch, dinner and perfect as an appetizer for the holidays. Try it with bread, corn tortillas, baked pita, quinoa, rice or just as a soup. Don’t het scared about the long list of ingredients, you will spend 20 minutes in the kitchen. You can also substitute the turkey for meat, pork, chicken or even turkey sausage.
What you need:
- 1 pound of ground turkey (85/15)
- 15. oz. of red kidney beans (with pinto beans is be great too)
- 1 white onion, small diced
- 4 pear tomatoes, small diced
- 5 garlic cloves, small diced
- 1 cup of beer (I like Modelo for this recipe)
- 1 cup of natural chicken stock (low sodium, organic even better)
- 1 tbsp. of tomato paste
- 1 chile serrano, deveined, seedless
- 1 tbsp. of chili powder
- 1 tbsp. of olive oil
- 1/4 cup of fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup of scallions
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup of cooked quinoa
- Avocado to taste
What you need to do:
- In a large pot in medium high temperature, add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Then add the onions and cook for 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and sauté for 3 more minutes at the same temperature. Add the tomato paste and keep stirring.
- Add the turkey and cook until browned for about 2 minutes. Then add the beer and stir constantly until the temperature rises again.
- Add the beans and stir. Then add the stock, chile, chili powder, salt to taste, stir well and then cook in low temperature for 10 minutes.
- Add the cilantro, the scallions, stir, taste and enjoy with the quinoa and the avocado on top.