20 Minutes 4 people
By Doreen Colondres
This vegetarian recipe is extremely delicious, fun, healthy and on top of that easy to prepare. It can be served in bread, with lettuce instead of bread or with baked pita chips or baked corn tortillas on the side. It tastes so good the patty can even be eaten plain! Having a party? Create miniature patties and serve them on top of “tostones” or corn tostadas. Once you try this burger, you will get addicted to it. I always like to keep it simple but if you want, add a chipotle mayo, aioli or avocado sauce.
What you need to have:
- 15 oz. cooked pigeon peas, drained
- 15 oz. cooked lentils, drained
- 2 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup of cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pico de gallo (optional)
What you need to do:
- In a large bowl, add the pigeon peas, lentils, cheese, garlic, cilantro, salt, and pepper. Using your hands, mix all the ingredients until you get a dough consistency. Make sure the peas and lentils are mashed well.
- Warm up a pan in medium high temperature with olive oil. Form the patties and put them in the pan for 3 minutes until golden brown. Flip them over very carefully and follow the same step. Serve with “pico de gallo”(diced tomato, onion, cilantro, and lemon juice) or baby greens (microgreens) for garnish.