3 minutes To share
By Doreen Colondres
Labneh is a creamy and delicious greek yogurt cheese originated in Lebanon. I learned it from my friend Yasmina from Beirut. The first time I stayed at her house, she asked me to prepare it with her to have fresh cheese every morning. Today is a classic in my kitchen. Watch out, it's addictive.
What you need:
- 32 oz. Whole Milk Organic Greek Yogurt, organic even better (don’t buy it fat free or low fat)
- Salt to taste
- Cheese cloth or several paper towel sheets
What you have to do:
- In a deep container, add the yogurt, salt to taste and mix well using a large spoon. Try while you are trying to make sure you have enough salt.
- Sieve a strainer in a deep container. In that strainer, you put a double or triple sheet of cheese cloth or several sheets of paper towel, so that you put the yogurt, you can cover it and create it like a bag that does not open. Let stand for 8-10 hours overnight. If your kitchen has a nice cool temperature, leave it outside, otherwise take it to the refrigerator. If you have a cheese-making bag, leave it hanging from some handle in the kitchen to let it release all the serum. The more it drains, the better consistency it will have.
- In the morning, discard the liquid and serve the cheese on a plate. You are ready to enjoy it with bread and an olive oil drizzle.
If you want, add oregano, thyme or a pinch of garlic. You can enjoy it with tomato, smoked salmon or black olives. Keep it on a covered container in the refrigerator so you can enjoy it for several days.