20 Minutes 4 servings
By Doreen Colondres
What you need to have:
- 1 tbsp. of olive oil (pure or canola)
- 2 tsp. of sofrito (go to the sauces section in the main menu of this site to see the recipe of the Sofrito)
- 1 packet of culantro and achiote seasoning
- 1 tspn. of tomato paste
- 1 can of red or pink beans
- 3/4 cups of water or natural chicken broth
- 3 ozs. of cooking ham
- 10 small chunks of pumpkin
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 2 culantro leaves finely chopped (also known as Recao)
- 5 salad olives (the ones stuffed with pepper)
- Fresh cilantro (finely chopped)
What you need to do:
- In a deep casserole, heat up the olive oil.
- Then sautee the ham until golden brown.
- Add the Sofrito, the culantro and achiote seasoning, tomato paste and the chicken bouillon cube and let it cook for 5 more minutes (avoid burning).
- Then add the beans (without the liquid in the can), water and chicken broth.
- Add the pumpkin, cilantro and olives and let it simmer uncovered for 15 minutes until the pumpkin gets tender and the liquid has thickened.