35 Minutes 8 servings
By Doreen Colondres
What you need to have:
- 2 tbs. of olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbs. of Caribbean “sofrito” (ready to use, fresh or frozen)
- 2 cloves of garlic finely diced
- 1/2 packet of seasoning with culantro and achiote (annatto)
- 1 pound of ground beef (lean -90/10)
- 1 small can of tomatoes, strained and diced
- 1 tbsp. of tomato paste (dissolved in 1/4 cup of water)
- 3/4 cup of California raisins
- 1/2 tbsp. of dry oregano
- 8-10 lettuce leaves, washed (anyone you want)
- Salt and pepper to taste
What you need to do:
- In a medium pot, pour the olive oil and sauté the “sofrito” and garlic for 3-5 minutes at medium-high temperature.
- Add the Culantro and Annato seasoning and stir for one more minute. Add the ground beef and let it cook for about 10 minutes.
- Then add the tomatoes, tomato paste, the California raisins, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Let it cook at low heat for another 15 minutes until all the ingredients are well mixed.
- Once the meat is ready, put some of it inside each lettuce leaf to start building the burritos.
Suggestions and other alternatives to serve: You could also serve the meat over coconut rice, over a corn tortilla (to create mini tacos), or even in oven baked empanadas.