20 Minutes 10-12 Meatballs
By Doreen Colondres
Everyone at the party will love this easy to make, flavorful and fun meatballs recipe. They can be served as appetizer or dinner with bread, pasta, rice, quinoa, pumpkin or carrot puré or vegetables.
If you don't want to use serrano chile, add half of the amount of cilantro to the meatballs mixture. Trust me, they are addictive.
What you need to have for the meatballs:
- 1 pound of ground pork
- 1 garlic clove, small diced
- 1/2 serrano chile, small diced, no seeds, no veins (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
What you need to have for the sauce:
- Juice and zest of 1 orange (1/4 cup orange juice)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil (or toasted sesame oil)
- 2 tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. honey agave (or regular honey)
- 1 tbsp. cilantro
What you need to do:
- On a bowl, mix the pork, garlic, chile and lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Using your hands, shape 10-12 meatballs similar to small burger patty and set aside in the refrigerator.
- On a bowl, combine the orange juice, zest, honey, soy sauce and set aside.
- On a sauté pan in medium high heat, add 2 tbsp. of olive oil and seared each side of the meatballs for 2 minutes. Then serve on plate and set aside.
- Using the same pan without cleaning it, add the juice mix to deglaze it. You will create that scrapping the fond using a wood or rubber spoon. Cook for one minute and reduce temperature to medium.
- Add the meatballs, the cilantro, cook for one more minute and serve.