30 Minutes 15 pieces
By Doreen Colondres
Delicious, fun and irresistible... Better, impossible! Dare yourself! Search your local market for "instant" powder polenta. It comes in a box or in a bag and it's generally in the section with the rest of the flours. If you can't find it there search the pasta section of the market or the area where all the Italian and Argentinian products are. Its very easy to use! And for those of you who love cilantro, you can always substitute spinach for cilantro to get another tasty option!
What you need to have:
Ingredients for the croquetas:
- 1 cup of polenta powder, instant
- 2 cups of natural chicken broth (you can also use water, milk or vegetable broth)
- 1 oz. of spinach (preferably baby spinach)
- 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp. of olive oil
- Salt to taste
For the sauce:
- 7oz. greek yogurt
- 1 small garlic clove
- 2 roasted peppers (preserved from a jar) or 4 “piquillo” peppers
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Salt to taste
What you need to do:
- Cut the spinach into small pieces and in a deep container mix it up with the cheese, then set aside.
- Place the broth in a small pot at med-high temperature, when hot, slowly start adding the “polenta” while stirring with a fork so you don’t get clumps.
- Add salt to taste and keep stirring for an additional 2 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and taste for salt, incase more is needed. Keep stirring for 2 more minutes so it starts cooling and so it won’t clump up.
- Add the spinach and cheese, mix well. Take the mix to a baking pan so you can start making the “croquetas”. Wet your hands so the mix doesn’t stick to them while you work.
- Make about 15 pieces, place them on a plate covered with parchment paper a let them sit in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Then, sauté them in a medium high heat pan with olive oil until golden, about 3 minutes, moving them very carefully. Place them on a plate with paper towel so they drain out the excess oil before you serve them.
- For the sauce, combine all the ingredients and mix using a blender or hand blender. Taste for salt or lemon in case more is needed, and enjoy!